Pages

Monday, February 2, 2015

The Things We Don't Say

This weekend I  took Sammy to the mall. It was yucky outside and he desperately needed to burn off some energy. They usually have great indoor places to run and play. They also have a train and that makes a decent experience for a little guy who has been cooped up for two days at this point.

After all of that I decided to hit up Gap on our way out. Sammy was hanging out at the wishing well with my sister and I had about ten minutes to myself. There was a nice mom with the cutest little boy getting a ton of things. It got me thinking that I should tell her to use a coupon! Never buy full price at Gap. But then I got scared. What if she thought I was rude? Or that I was implying something? I decided to keep my mouth shut.

The thing is that most moms could use a bit of savings on the basics. Then they can spend more elsewhere or maybe get something else they could not afford. If I would have spoken up I may have positively impacted her day. It got me thinking that there are a lot of things I keep my mouth closed on- seemingly insignificant and very large- because I am too scared sometimes to raise my voice. I don't want to be that kind of person - to stand by when I see that I could positivity impact a situation.

I read an article by a mother who lost her young son to a car accident where he was not belted properly. I thought how often do I see pictures on facebook and know that child would benefit from seeing a CPST. But I don't want to come off as a sanctimommy. It is such a tough line to walk. But I want to err on the side of right and good rather than scared and meek. After really thinking about that article I resolved in my own life to be open to constructive advice and criticism. For all of my research I may be unaware of something that makes the difference and another mother might change my mind. And I am going to take the time and energy to say the tough things to people I know could benefit from a little help. From someone who knows how to word things kindly and mean things nicely.

That is my goal- to be open to having tough and meaningful conversations with other parents and being open to what they have to say as well! Happy Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment